I'm driving a friend to his court date tonight, and I knew I was being nervous and concerned on his behalf. I do this in general when my friends have Major Events. For one thing, stressing about other people's problems is more fun than stressing about my own.
At any rate, apparently I was more worried than I realized. Because, while generally I don't remember my dreams, or even having them, I vividly remember dreaming ALL NIGHT about the things that could go wrong. In addition to the ordinary, reasonable concerns, I also dreamed the following, all as separate dreams:
1. I picked him up (at a mutual friend's house, not his) and he came out of the back bedroom in his pajamas. Friend grabbed him and returned him to bedroom to change. [He knows better]
2. I picked him up at the same friend's house (or perhaps it was the same dream and it was what he changed into) and we got all the way outside before I realized that the shirt was shiny and fuzzy, and in combination with the awful suit, he looked like Elvis. I returned him to the bedroom to change. [He has more taste than that. And wouldn't put that suit or shirt on in the first place, ever.]
3. I got thrown out of the courtroom because I wasn't dressed decently enough. [Not bloody likely. But this one still concerns me.]
4. My boss was prosecuting the case. [He doesn't do that kind of work.]
5. The judge recognized me as a legal secretary [the big sign over my head, clearly] and made me get up and defend some idiot who didn't have a lawyer and was talking himself into more trouble than he started out in. [Hello? That is against the law. In several ways.]
6. My friend's lawyer called me as a character witness, without any warning, and asked a lot of embarrassing questions about just how well I knew him, at several points in time that are absolutely irrelevant to the subject at hand. Eventually I asked the judge if I could object to the line of questioning, or at least get a reason for it, which is when he finally stopped.[Thank deity-of-choice, surprise witnesses are completely against court procedure, no matter what the entertainment industry indicates.]
And then there was the REALLY weird one, which started off in a way that was so completely improbable that I knew it was a dream from the beginning, that after a couple twists and turns morphed itself into a recurring dream from my childhood...
And that's just what I remember this morning, of the ones that couldn't happen. Oy.